Rick Threlfall . Curriculum Vitae
To drive vision, guidelines and policy for user-facing design and development while working across functions to align with business needs.
To use my experience in end-to-end design and delivery to ensure that simplicity and elegance make content effortless to access and the path to conclusion obvious. Along the way, it would be great to have fun and immerse myself in the design process.
- User experience design (full user-centered design cycle)
- User interface design (mobile, web and desktop applications)
- Requirements elicitation (client goal and workflow analysis)
- Writing user, functional and non-functional requirements
- Storyboard/User story creation
- Visual Design Guide creation
- Information architecture analysis and design
- Persona development
- Visual and graphic design
- Brand development
- Interaction and micro-interaction design
- Usability testing
- Workshop design
- Prototype engineering
- Software system analysis, design and engineering
COMMUNICATION & APPROACH
I guide a team of user interface design specialists across three sites worldwide, I conduct the technical interviews for the Manchester software group and enjoy mentoring others in the areas of UI, UX and software development and design. I work closely with various development groups using a range of methodologies (full agile through to waterfall). I am a strong proponent of Lean UX and I love running workshops and group design sessions. I am a confident presenter.
TOOLS & LANGUAGES
- General: Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint), Mac office apps (Pages, Keynote)
- Wireframing: Paper, whiteboards, Balsamiq
- Early Prototyping: Axure
- Graphic design/Hi-fi mockups: Adobe CC (Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Print: Adobe CC (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign)
- HTML5 Animation: Tumult Hype
- Development Tools: Adobe Dreamweaver, MS Visual Studio, MS Expression Blend, Xcode
- Development: HTML5/CSS3/jscript, C#/XAML, C, C++ and some Objective-C
- Styling: Straightforward CSS, JQuery Mobile Themeroller, MS Expression Blend
- Usability Testing: Camtasia
- Colour/Palette creation: Adobe Kuler
- Requirements, Code and Change Management: Git, IBM Rational Tools (DOORS, Change Synergy, Code Management), MS Sourcesafe, MS Team Foundation Server
- Other: XML/XSL/XPath, WordPress CMS, Trello, Teamviewer
PRINCIPAL SOFTWARE ENGINEER / USER EXPERIENCE LEAD
Waters Corporation. July 2000 – present
Originally starting as a Principal Software Engineer at Waters, my previous experience of working across functions on design along with user interface and graphic design responsibilities quickly led to a more focused role around the higher level user experience design.
I have been instrumental in a culture change within Waters Corporation to accept UX design as key part of the product development process. Senior management sponsorship has been gradually realized by leading successful projects where the process has been applied from the start. As a component of this, I put together a team of six user interface design specialists. This team has now been expanded to eight individuals as my responsibility has grown to cover for the UX design for all Waters’ internal and external software products.
The key challenges have been influencing corporate culture and working with product marketing, product management and a large development team distributed across four sites worldwide. I have also enjoyed running small ‘lean’ projects and and had some of these blossom into acceptance within the main product.
- Responsible for user experience design for all Waters software products
- Lead a team of user experience designers, visual designers and front-end developers
- Provide guidelines and guidance for the a globally distributed development team
- Work with product management and marketing to understand and align with business goals
- Drive cultural change within the corporation to gain acceptance of the UX design discipline by working with senior management and cross functional teams to produce and promote success stories
- Take part in scrum activities within agile development teams
- Consider accessibility standards within solution designs
- Work through the full user-centered design cycle; plan, design, evaluate, update.
- Working with large stakeholder groups; sticking to clear roles and responsibilities in order to define and deliver effective solutions
- Create lo-fi solution proposals (wireframes)
- Engineer prototypes using Axure, C#/XAML, HTML/CSS/jscript
- Conduct usability testing sessions, then analyse and act on the outcomes
- Run workshops for my team and development groups
- Run an innovation programme whereby my team and I take time to investigate creative ways display complex data analysis results and the huge data sets generated by Waters’ instrumentation, with particular focus on driving down the need for end users with high degrees of experience
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER / PRINCIPAL SOFTWARE ENGINEER
Thermo-Fisher Scientific. December 1995 – July 2000
During my time at Thermo, I worked as part of a close-knit team on projects ranging from low level instrument control (written in C/C++) through to standalone desktop applications and contributing to the Data System software sold with the company’s mass spectrometer and chromatography solutions.
My primary responsibilities were centered around the user interface design and coding. I worked with key stakeholders from engineers to product marketing to ensure that we delivered the right design.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER / SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
VG BioTech/Micromass. June 1989 -December 1995
After leaving secondary school to go to college (Computer Studies), I took summer work at VG BioTech coding in C. At the end of my placement, this was converted into a full time position. I worked on many projects coded in C, assembler and C++. I also took on much of the UI development for the flagship data system product. Many of those UI designs are still in use within the product today.
PRIVATE CONSULTATION/WEB UX AND DEVELOPMENT
This includes full UX Design, writing creative briefs, client interviews, layouts, prototyping, photographic and design work along with HTML5/CSS3/jscript coding. I have also produced some printed designs for flyers, cards and handouts. I enjoy the challenge of working with a variety of clients, applying the latest principles of touch first, responsive web design and lean UX during the full process from design to delivery.
TRAINING & EDUCATION
- Participatory Design Techniques
- Presentation Techniques
- Gathering and Managing Requirements
- Project Scheduling and Risk Management
- WPF and XAML
- UML and Object Oriented Design Techniques
- 1984-1989 Sale Boys Grammar School, 9 GCSE’s.
- Attending UX conferences, including UX week, NUX 1, NUX 2 and the Camp Digital events.
- I am an active member of the Northern User Experience group and I regularly attend local UX, development and design meetings including NUX meet-ups and Mobile Mondays.
- Scuba diving: I am a Dive Master and active Technical Diver.
- Committed gym user.
- I also enjoy the occasional Kayak trip.